4.21.2013

A picture is worth...

Check out Amy Pohler's short video on being careful about what we watch -- to think about what we want our eyes to see...

Though we talk a lot about how the Internet might affect us, all the time we spend online, gaming, etc., I don't think I've read much about the proliferation of visual imagery.   Surely the ability to store more and more information cheaply has allowed the whole explosion, but particularly images and video.  I can remember when you just couldn't store the stuff -- your machine couldn't possibly hold video, and it would crash when you tried to play it.

But now, just like everything on the Internet, photos and video can be anywhere, taken by anyone.  From a human rights perspective I could argue that that's a good thing -- we've been able to record events that governments would previously have denied.  Photos and video can be proof, right?  They can lead us to truth?  They can also eliminate language barriers in communication.

But I am worried about how to process photos of "terror."  Certainly the Boston pics, and all the other horrific photos back to, well, Vietnam for me, are recording a truth (not talking about the PhotoShop possibilities here).  We know that photos changed the course of the Vietnam War.

But I also think that photos are driving the fear-mongering media in this country -- they fit perfectly into the 24-hour news folks who have to keep filling the screen, who have to keep pumping up the emotional aspects of stories....so they repeat photos and video over and over and over to achieve breathless, don't change the channel programming.  These photos are being used to spread this continuous story of fear -- it's basically pre-plotted and photos for the tragedy of the day will be plugged in.   We have to have particular victims and families we focus on, the bravery stories of a particular person who came to aid,  then the manhunt, if applicable, then we must quickly know why.  At all these points lies start to multiply to fit the story -- like the Columbine "trenchcoat" kids who were bullied by the jocks....all untrue. 

I watched CNN a few times throughout the Boston bombings and I feel brain-damaged.  The combination of photographic media with the breathless, repetitive, fearful reporting style is difficult not to respond to....I had to tell myself to not watch.

However, I bought my new iPad for many reasons, but the camera was a big one.  I wanted to easily add the photo element to my FB postings and this page -- because we just expect photos with our media.  I enjoy other people's photos. 

So, here's my photo of the day -- fresh herbs from the garden to put into a tomato sauce I'm simmering on the stove.  Is this a harmless photo?





1 comment:

Kate said...

Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing!