5.02.2013

Sorry to tell you this

In my attempt to relax and de-stress, I decided to try one thing I've never had the opportunity to do -- sleep.  You've seen all the research about the benefits of sleep, and certainly for most of my life, and everyone else's as well, that's been -- "yea, well sometime."  But for me, I can do that now.  

I decided to try and sleep as much as my body wants.  Imagine!  Without alarms, and trying to avoid the feeling of being a lazy degenerate, I'm trying to see what my body needs.  Both my mother and sister seem to be early risers, and Doug as well.  Mom has never slept well, and I'm thinking Julie might be heading that way as well.  

At least so far, that has been no problem for me.  I like the night, and have been staying up as late as I want, though I do still feel like I'm wasting time...basically just puttering around doing nothing, watching too much TV.  I might need to think about using some of that energy more productively, particularly given that I'm sleeping in until 9 or later.  But at least for now, I'm going to try not to judge, but just to observe (oh, how yoga).  

This morning the animals got me up around 6 and I thought, I'm not that tired, I should just get going.  But then I decided to see if I could go back to sleep -- if it happened, then I guess I could still use it.  Then it was 9:30 and I felt so amazingly refreshed.  It's weird to get up and not have that feeling of just wanting more.  

Is this a total lack of discipline?  Is this justification for being a worthless lazy slob?  Oops, there's the judgement, always talking.  I have no idea.  I do know how fortunate I am to even be able to run this little experiment....and I'm very grateful for that.

1 comment:

Julie Grimmer said...

sheesh, I love being awake at dawn to see the world come alive and the birds start singing. On the other hand I'm out cold by 9 pm! Love you.