3.20.2013

I'm the worst meditator in the world


I remember the part of Eat, Pray, Love where Gilbert is in India and tells the teacher that she just can't settle her mind in meditation, and the teacher is surprised saying he had never heard that before....she must be the only one!  

Now, I know it's difficult, but I swear, I can beat her any day in not clearing my mind.  

I've been doing the Oprah-Deepak 21-day meditation.  Our yoga teacher, Jackie, mentioned it in class I thought...why not give it a try.  I get my headphones, settle with the iPad, and each day there's a new topic and meditation.  Deepak and Oprah together definitely know what they're doing on this kind of product -- limiting the days, making it easy, making it quick for our fast-paced world, but still it's meditation and is soooo hard.  

I remember when Doug and I first did Transcendental Meditation -- back in the '70s in Boulder -- we would meditate twice a day for 20 minutes.  We were fairly disciplined and I do recall that it got easier. But these meditations are very short, and in the middle I find myself just waiting for the bell-ring.  Ah...

No comments: