3.21.2013

Aging

Though I don't want this blog to be about all my crazy Amnesty time, I do want to reflect on things I learn.  And, I have to give it to Amnesty in terms of keeping this sad old brain alive, that one of the appeals is the constant challenge and learning.

The new learning is fund raising.  I could tell from the reaction of other Amnesty folks that people kind of have an on/off switch when you mention fund raising, and for the most part, it's clearly off.  There is a certain reptile-brain look that comes over people when you suggest serious fund raising.  It's clearly fight or flight, with the later easily available since we're all volunteers, though there was some fight in there as well.

I'm certainly no different.  The idea of going up to strangers and asking for money is anathema to me.  I was the parent who bought the whole load of wrapping paper because I didn't want my daughters to hit up neighbors who probably knew the drill and would have been happy to oblige.  Something deep in me thinks it's tacky, and then there's the whole possibility...actually distinct probability...of repeated rejection.  Who would want to set themselves up for that?

But, I decided to go ahead and do this 5K race anyway, with the conscious decision that I'd need to work through fear.  It is an aspect of aging that failure is much less a concern and I have a good sense of when I've done my best despite results.  

Though the race hasn't been run yet, and any number of disasters could occur, the outlook is good, great even.  The hardest part, begging for money, has not been nearly as bad as I expected.  I think the reason is that the businesses I've approached are just that -- businesses -- and they have a different sense of money than I do.  They deal with the money part of their business every day and are experienced in making the decisions of who to give to, and what to give, as a normal part of their business.  

The first business that gave us a check, Casual Adventure, made it so easy.  I met the owner, fully expecting rejection, and he went to his office and wrote a check.  I was flabbergasted that anyone would do that.  My reaction has been a profound obligation to them in terms of publicizing their names as an expression of the gratitude I feel that they would support human rights.  I've also learned that folks do want to support the cause even in a small way and I could see it as a gift I'm bringing to them (but that will take a while).  

I would definitely do this again.  We need money to do this work and it's out there, and the experience has even risen to the level of fun for me.  

No comments: