3.18.2013

Last night we had Kate, Emily and Rob over for an early birthday for Doug -- he's officially the 21st.

His request was corned beef and cabbage, which I made with a bottle of Rob's beer in the crock pot. The corned beef usually comes with a seasoning packet, but this one didn't. A quick google search produced many options, but we decided to throw in:  garlic, mustard seed, black pepper corns, whole cloves, and a big pinch of hot red pepper flakes.  I also spread yellow mustard over the meat.  I meant to put in bay leaves but forgot. The result was great nevertheless.

The photo shows my Whole Foods impulse buys -- my list was very small, just including a few things for Doug's dinner.

But, the lettuce reminded me that this really is a good time to plant a few things.  Usually I grow lettuce from seed, but when I've bought it started in flats the result has always been great.

Why is the lettuce on the table?  Well, we have snow flurries today, and though I know lettuce is hardy, I decided to help it out a little and bring it in for the evening.

The kids got Doug a hummingbird feeder and stand for his birthday.  I had always heard that you should get the feeders out early in the spring for when they migrate back to the area and are hungry.  We made the sugar syrup and put it out immediately...but the syrup probably froze overnight...Hope the little guys find the feeder.

3 comments:

Francis Fourie said...

I am so glad your blog is back! I am contemplating about mine too. It is always great to read your musings.

Francis Fourie said...

The lettuce and bulbs look good on the table.

Claudia said...

Thanks, Francis. I love seeing all your adventures on Facebook, but longer blog posts still have a place, I think. Hard to get subtle feeling across in FB!