9.18.2010


I just finished this book -- really -- I have to put it on the top 5 books I've ever read, and I've read a lot of books. The narration was interesting, moving from part to part under the heading of a character's name, and going from first to third person in a way I couldn't quite figure out. The plot involves the three Proctor brothers working the crumbling family dairy farm in upstate New York, and it goes back to the 1930s to meet the parents as well. The sections switch back and forth in time, and the large picture only gradually emerges. Even though it's been a long time since I read Faulkner, this novel felt like parts of The Sound and the Fury. Clinch also wrote the novel, Finn, about Huck's father, and I'm going to order that one right now from the library.

1 comment:

Kate Vandermade said...

Looks like I'll have to borrow that one!