6.21.2009

I've been a bad blogger, but no one except for Doug has complained!

Today Emily and I saw Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal at the movie theater in Georgetown. The kids took Doug and the rest of us to see the movie Up -- it was sooo cute. Emily had to go back to argue about our parking fee, and the two of them were in line behind her. I had gone looking for Em, and caught a glimpse of them -- I guess it's always fun to see stars, kind of like seeing the rare fish when you're snorkeling or something...Emily smiled and said hi to them, but they ignored her:-( She thought he seemed like a jerk...in that whole 2-minute encounter!

Then Rob brought over some pork chops he had marinated in a special beer, and we had our usual Sunday night dinner. I made fresh blueberry ice cream -- pretty and yummy.

Emily and I have been baby-sitting quite a bit for our neighbors across the street who just had baby number 3 -- so at home there's a 4, almost 3, and now newborn. I think we'll be over there some more in the weeks to come:-)

Emily is about 95% certain to start a teaching job in the next few weeks, but it's only part time. It's teaching adults English through Arlington County. The good news is that she's decided that teaching is what she really enjoys doing, and the people in the program all seem very nice. It has the potential of expanding, or she might add another part time job to it. Kate is also doing well, but I need to save that for next week.

I'm still working with Amnesty -- we had a protest on Thursday at the Indonesian Embassy that worked out well. There weren't as many people as last time, but we had a good police presence including a paddy wagon -- that always creates interest on the street! Then I spent Saturday at the AI regional office as part of a new committee I'm on -- the Regional Planning Group -- advising the office on policy, planning...etc. It's too soon for me to know what that will all mean, but I'm working with motivated people.

This week I'll be home on two afternoons to get quotes for a new heating/cooling system -- ugg...we knew the system was old, but you always wish it would hang on longer than a few months. We have air right now, but it probably won't last for even the summer, so we need to bite the bullet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in a theater line when I've said Hi to the person in front of me and they barely acknowledge it, if at all and so I just figure they don't want to talk. They aren't "celebrities" (who are sometimes hounded by people)..and so don't think much of it.

LA born and raised said...

Jake used to be an okay guy before he started hanging around with snobby Reese. Unless you're a pap or a PR person or someone with something to offer them by way of career or money, they couldn't care less. Don't worry about it, those two are losers. You guys, with the family and friends and friendly attitude, are the winners, trust me.