8.28.2010

Back to the blog

After my spectacular visit with Laurie in Colorado, I decided that I want to return to this blog -- glad I didn't delete it:-) I can't go into all the details of why the trip was so wonderful in a FaceBook entry -- I see the blog as more of the long letters we used to write, but shared with anyone who reads me here (I know, my vast reading public).

Laurie, my BFF from Denver, and I somehow (I don't quite remember how we worked it out) decided to set up a visit this summer. I flew into Denver and we went up to her family cabin near Nederland. This cabin is in the most beautiful location, right on North Boulder Creek (which now owns my cellphone...). The creek is bright and sparkling, strewn with rocks that make the water gurgle as it passes. The cabin has been a work in progress for years, and I have vague memories of its earlier self. It is now very comfortable for creatures, like me, who love a big kitchen and is fond of her bathroom, but it still has a rustic, cabin feel with the dark wood, stone steps, big fireplace. The porch in front, facing the creek, has room for a nice picnic table and we ate out there several times. Upstairs there is a smaller deck off a bedroom that has two comfy reclining chairs that are just perfect for an afternoon read (and of course, nap).

The weather was just what the doctor ordered (a Virginia doctor, that is). The days were warm and sunny with those incredible deep blue Colorado skies, and the evenings were cool sweatshirt-temps. Even for the day we were in Brush, it was hot, but that nice dry heat followed by a cooler night.

Our visit certainly was punctuated by events and outings, but it was mainly talking. We just never ran out of things to share and even though we haven't had this kind of time together as adults, and certainly we've both changed, we just had the time to reconnect with each other and tell our stories. Of course, with each of us having two children, we needed to cover them thoroughly (sorry kids...yes, we talked about you...a lot, and love you more than you can know). Husbands had their talk time (love you too, more than you can know) -- but current events were big (we solved no world problems, however), education was a big topic and together Laurie and I could solve the US educational challenges with ease, I'd say we tackled the broad field of human nature pretty well and with the great perspective of age, we have a better handle on why people are so wacky.

I had been looking forward to hiking, and explored the beautiful canyon and some higher land with Laurie and her neighbor, Betsy. Laurie was nursing a problem foot, but laced up her hiking boots and ventured out for one hike that didn't hurt her too much. Along the way I heard all kinds of colorful family stories associated with various cabins, and of course, no mountain experience is complete without bear stories. The canyon has had a number of bear incidents -- sitings, bears at the door, and bears thrashing around inside cabins. Of course I would have loved to return with my own embellished bear tale, but no luck this time.

One of the first things we had planned for the visit was to attend Peter Pan at the Boulder Dinner Theatre. We got good seats near the stage, and had a nice dinner with two people who had friends in common with Laurie -- lots of "small world" stuff. The play was energetic and fun -- Peter and Hook were outstanding. The flying looked effortless but was pretty hard, I'm sure.

Our last day was at Laurie's home in Brush, Colorado. We arrived to her house, which was crawling with roofing people (thanks to a big hail storm earlier in the summer). The new roof really compliments her beautiful home -- I could go on and on about this neat Craftsman house -- so spacious and inviting, with all the artistic and tasteful touches of my artistic friend. I've barely spoken entire sentences with her husband, Greg, who I've also known since high school, and it was nice to have some relaxed time with him as well. I begged him for some vegetable garden advice, and if you could see his garden, you'd know why. He is a Master Gardener, but I think his thumb was pretty green before that. I came home with a number of tips that I'll be trying next year.

My flight home was uneventful and I was greeted at the airport by Kate and Rob. We came home and Rob and Doug tried (and approved of) the beer I brought home, and Kate liked a scarf I picked up at the Katmandu shop in Nederland. While I was gone, Doug worked really hard doing a big upstairs rearranging that we had been talking about in vague terms before I left -- he's great at this stuff, and it all looks great...but I think it was pretty hard work (every piece of furniture changed rooms).

I also returned to more flea problems -- despite Frontline right before I left, Doug said that Jerry started scratching again a couple days ago and upon inspection, he was crawling. I also noticed Neko scratching, and he had Frontline pretty recently. So, given that I did not sleep a wink last night, I was again on the Internet looking for suggestions, preferably not all that toxic. I tell you -- I read about Borax, moth balls, salt, lemon detergent, eucalyptus leaves, and more -- I think I'll be trying a good combination of those, along with vacuuming every day. The downstairs vacuum doesn't have a bag, so I'll throw that outside after each vacuum, but one suggestion for vacuums with bags (like we have upstairs) is to get a flea collar, cut it up, and put the pieces into the bag -- otherwise they recommend throwing out the bag after each time.

I haven't done justice to the trip here -- one of rejuvenation (helped by the massage I had with Laurie and Greg's masseuse in Brush), reflection, and laughter.


1 comment:

Danville Fourie said...

Thanks Claudia for keeping your reader public posted on your adventures.
Francis and I went to Denver for the ISTE conference in July and I fell in love with the awesome skies and wonderful hot, but dry weather. It felt almost like a Cape Town summer. We would like to take the kids to Colorado for a holiday.
We did not see too much of Colorado but we will definetly go back to experience the ourdoors; and maybe we will see a bear of two.
Regards,
Danville